How To Hang Christmas Lights On A Roof Peak
As December approaches, we start feeling the holiday cheer and Christmas decorations start to appear.Many homeowners prefer to display Christmas lights on roof peaks or roof ridges for a more dramatic effect. Here are five tips on how to hang Christmas lights on roof peaks without damaging roofing materials.
- Tip #1 – Inspect The Roof Before Decorating It
Before hanging light strings, inspect the roof as well as roofing materials. Roofs are not always flat; roof peaks can be pointy, and roof ridges may protrude like vent pipes. Also, roof materials may differ in composition.
Wood shingles can be more susceptible to damage than asphalt roofing tiles or rolled roofing material. The nails holding the roof panels together are usually thin and narrow, and roof peaks are arranged in multiple layers.
- Tip #2 – Select The Right Nails
Stainless steel roofing nails with diamond points can be used to hang Christmas lights on roof peaks. Sharp, pointed roofing nails will not only make it easier to puncture rooflike surfaces but also minimize roof damage like torn shingles and roof ridge buckling.
- Tip #3 – Extend Roofing Nails And Use Roof Screws To Secure It On Place
To prevent roofing materials from sagging, drive one roofing nail into the roof every three feet along the string of Christmas lights hung on roof peaks. Drive roof nails two inches deep to secure Christmas lights onto roofs for a longer roof life.
- Tip #4 – Caulk Roofing Nails For A Stronger Roof Hold.
After hanging Christmas lights on the roof peak, use roof cement to caulk roofing nails for a strong roof hold. Don’t overload roof peak attachments with too many strings of Christmas lights or Christmas tree lights, as this can create a heavyweight load leading to roof damage.
There Are A Few Things To Consider:
- Make sure your ladder is in tip-top shape.
- Check for any power sources in the area.
- Make sure that all the lights are untangled and close to your body in a belt or harness.
- Decide if you want to use hooks or adhesives.
- Wear sports shoes with a lot of grips to prevent slipping.
- Hang lights only when it’s bright outside, during the day (ideally with a lot of sunshine)
Contact Roof Experts To Rock Your Christmas Decoration
Skywall Construction is the only roofing company in Austin that provides the best roofing services. From roof inspections to gutters and patches, we provide everything you need for your roof refurbishment project. Our team of roofers will make sure they understand your goal to deliver desirable results.