How To Install Solar Panels On Your Roof The Easy Way
Are you curious about installing solar panels on your roof but are overwhelmed with all the information? Don’t worry! Solar panels may seem complicated at first glance, but they’re very simple. This article provides an overview of the 5 steps of solar panel installation.
#1 – Determine If You Live In A Good Location For Solar Panels
Before installing solar panels on your roof, it’s important to determine if your house is in a good solar location. A sunny area that doesn’t shade neighboring roofs is usually the best location for solar panels. Solar sites are often listed as Northwest-, Southwest- or Southeast-facing depending on their face (N, S, E, W). If you live in a sunny location, it might be time to talk with a solar panel installation company.
#2 – Determine Whether You Should Lease Or Buy The Solar Panel System
One of the biggest decisions homeowners face when considering solar panels is purchasing or leasing the system. Each choice has its pros and cons, so it’s important to do your research before making this decision.
#3 – Make Sure Your Home’s Roof Is Structurally Sound
Most solar companies will check your roof to make sure it’s structurally sound before installing the solar panels. They’ll ask questions such as: Is there any evidence of leaks? Can we walk on it? If they determine that your roof isn’t structurally sound, you might need to repair it before installing solar panels.
#4 – Have Solar Panels Installed On Your Roof
Finally, when you’re ready to start installing solar panels on your roof, follow these simple steps:
- Pre-assemble racking and equipment on the ground. If you have a large system with many components, you might need a specialized rack and know about the terms.
- Drill holes in the roof and attach racking with screws. It’s best to have someone on the roof as an extra safety measure if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Attach solar panels. Each panel has 3 metal strips that need to be connected to the racking system.
- Connect and seal all electrical components in the inverter. The inverter converts electricity from direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).
- Enroll in a net metering program with your energy company for when you’re ready to start using your solar panels. Net metering allows you to send excess electricity you generate back to the grid.
- Prepare for future expansion. If you’re installing solar panels intending to add more panels in the future, plan and leave room on your roof.
Are You Looking For A Solar Panel Installation Company In Austin? We Got You
You love renewable energy, but you’re overwhelmed with the idea of installing solar panels on your own. Don’t sweat it! It’s easier than you think. Skywall Construction LLC offers professional and affordable residential solar panel installation in Austin. Installing them with our professionals will save you time and money, with the best results guaranteed.